Wednesday, March 10, 2010

8 x 8 Heritage Album

*  The gypsy cut file for the tag pages is now available on my blog under the cut files tab at the top.  Enjoy!

Hi everyone! I had so much fun being a guest designer over at Hallmark Scrapbook and appreciated all of your comments!

Now that my week as guest designer is over I can post all of the projects, tutorials, and instructions here on My Craft Spot.  :-)

The first project  is an 8x8 album that I am making for my Mom. I hope to be getting the Heritage Cartridge soon, and will probably add some more pages.  The word 'Jacqueline' was cut using the Gypsy font that comes with the Gypsy.  The little girls are cut from A Child's Year at 3 1/2 inches.

 

Here are some general instructions for assembling the book: I used the Zutter Bind-it-all, the 8x8 covers, and 3/4" black Owires to make this album.  I love my Bind-it-all!  I pulled cardstock from my stash (mostly Cratepaper and Fiskars) and cut each page 7 7/8 by 7 7/8.  Then I inked all of the edges with Ranger inks.

Hint: Do anything that would show through on the back of a page (sewing, brads, etc.) before gluing the pages back to back. 

Next, I adhered the pages back to back with a liquid glue.  After the glue dried, I punched all of the pages with my Bind-it-all.  You will want to bind your book before adding thick embellishments to your pages.




This page is a pedigee chart.  The family envelope opens to reveal names of great grandparents back a few generations.  I used brads and photo turns to keep it closed.  'Family' was cut from the Home Accents cartridge on my Gypsy (width 5.6 and height 1.75).




 I cut the fancy corners from the Sweethearts cartridge (p. 78) at 1 1/2".  I used thick textured cardstock so I set my cricut to Speed 2, Pressure 5, and Blade depth 6 for this intricate cut.



 On this page I cut the flourish from Home Decor at 2 1/2 inches.

 

 The tag shaped pages were cut from the Tags Bags Boxes and More cartridge (p. 89 blackout).  I used my Gypsy to stretch the tags so they would fit in my book just right.  (width 4.0", height 7.0")






This is my beautiful mother! I tied the page with tulle and there is a tutorial for the flower below.

 

I cut 'Beautiful' from the Home Decor cartridge at 1 1/2" three times and then glued the layers together to make it look like chipboard.  Then I coated the letters with Diamond Glaze so they would be shiny and dimensional.

I think this is my favorite page in the book.  The flourishes were cut at 2 1/2" from Home Decor.  I cut two flourishes and then cut one of them apart to add pieces here and there to the first flourish.  The border on the bottom of the picture was made on the Gypsy by welding several scallops from Home Accents to a rectangle.  There is a tutorial for the ribbon circle and for the flowers below!




First, the ribbon circle tutorial:

Cut a 7 inch silhouette circle from the George cartridge. Glue around the entire circle with adhesive and start sticking the ribbon down, pleating it as you go.


Continue around the entire circle until you get to the end.  Match up the end pieces by trimming and then folding the last end under.  (This would be a great spot for an embellishment!)

 

 This is how it will look when finished:




 The last step is to sew (straight stitch) around the entire circle to secure the ribbon.  (You may need to use goo-gone on your sewing needle to remove any adhesive that sticks to it.)




Flower Tutorial:

 

The flowers were cut from the Sweethearts cartridge.  For the large flower, cut two at 1 1/2", one at 1 1/4", and one at 3/4".  For the smaller flower, cut two at 1 1/4", one at 1 inch, and one at 3/4".
I inked all of the flowers with Ranger ink and then curled each petal around a piercing tool.



 This is what they will look like:




Put a dab of glue (Zig 2-way glue pen) in the center of each flower as you layer them together.  I punched the center for the flower using a standard size hole punch. 

 


10 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous project - you have given me so many great ideas for my heritage album!!! TFS!
    jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You so much for sharing. Your work is beautiful...you have given me so many ideas. Thanks again
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job on the book and the flowers!! I can't wait to try out the flowers this weekend. You make them look so easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have done an outstanding job on this album! The flowers and other embellishments are incredible!
    I wish I had your talent and flair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome project! The only thing that will make this nicer is the family photos! Beautiful pages, every single one and the swirls between the pages! It is a book that you can't wait to see the next page and when you are done you go back and look again! Thank you for sharing this beautiful project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a awesome job. I have a question. My daughter which is a traveling Nurse is doing books for her neice and nephew. She buys a stuffed animal that relates to the state she is in. Any place she has gone the stuff animal will go with and they take pictures together and she puts these in the book. The animal will basicly tell the story. In the back she has left pages for the kids to tell their story with the animal and where they have taken him. She has done a nice job with the book and I would like to preserve the cover. We design the outside cover before she venture to the next state. All pages are inclosed with sleeves but I need to reinforce the cover. What would you use to do that with? I'm worried that the kids when looking at the book the cover will get dirty or torn and even some of the wording may come off in time. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do to help preserve the cover. Sorry this got lengthy.
    Thanks
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all of your sweet comments!

    To answer the above question - You could put modge podge all over the front of the album. This would dry clear (and shiny) and would protect the front of the album.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. Thanks so much!

Blogging tips