Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sweet Treats Cake card

Hi everyone! For this card I  used the Sweet Treats cartridge, one of my favorites!  The cake (p. 39) was cut at 2.5" width x 6.5" height and the cake plate (p. 42) was cut at 3.6" width x 4.3" height on my Gypsy.  I used the Gypsy so I could size the cake plate to fit the cake.  I love my Gypsy!

 

I ran all of the cake embellishments through my Xyron sticker machine upside down, then covered each piece with glitter before adhering to the cake.  I used a punch for the flowers on the cake plate.

 

The scalloped border was made with my Gypsy.  I turned the letter "D" (Jumbo font) on the Lyrical Letters cartridge sideways and welded a bunch of them onto a long, thin rectangle (from the George cartridge) until it was the right size for my card.  Have I mentioned that I love my Gypsy?!

 
 
I used a striped patterned paper for my cake.  (DCWV cardstock)  To get everything to line up, I first cut the cake out on white cardstock.  Then I removed the cut out cake, but left the 'stencil' on my mat.  Next, I slid my piece of patterned cardstock in under the 'stencil' until it was lined up just how I wanted it.  I removed the white before cutting the cake out on the patterned cardstock.



Now I have a cake that looks like I cut it out of a lot of different papers and then pieced them together, but without all of the work!

 

For the cake plate, I wanted it to look glassy, so I used my watermark ink and clear embossing powder. If I have a small piece, like the cake plate, I like to put the whole piece on the ink pad and then use the lid  to press down on it.  This gives more even coverage than just holding the die-cut and trying to ink it.






6 comments:

  1. This is super cute and so creative the way you made the scallop out of the 'D's'! tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent idea with the layered cake effect! It looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite cuts from the Sweet Treats cartridge. Wonderful job on your card. The scallop is just genius. Thanks for joining us at CCC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It sure looks like a lot of work went into making your cake. I love all the glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.I love this card. Using the cake as a design is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your work is amazing! I am a new follower and I am sooooo glad I found you!

    Arlene.
    http://waterdots.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. Thanks so much!

Blogging tips