Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Lighting for great photos!

Hello my crafty friends!  I have heard some of you say that your photos aren't turning out as well because of rainy, overcast skies.  With winter coming and a lot less daylight to take pictures of all of your fantastic creations, I thought I would share how to make a light box!

I got the idea from Mona Pendleton.  She posted about a light box she purchased for about $25.  Click HERE to see her post and a picture of how she set up her lights.  This is how I set up my lights too, but I made my own light box!  I am still learning about lighting though.   ;)


So here is a summary of the instructions I found at a site called Digital Photography School:

 Materials Needed:

1.  A Box – Thicker is better and make it pretty good sized!  I used a utility knife to cut the openings.  I spray painted the inside of my box white instead of lining it.  Then I used a half piece of white posterboard to line the inside of my box so there wouldn't be any seam.
2.  Fabric - white nylon, muslin, etc.  Anything that lets the light through, but softens it.
3.  Tape - to secure the fabric and possibly the posterboard.
4.  Lights - I bought some 'Clamp on Work Lights' from a home improvement store. They have a silver reflector disk around them.  You can use 'daylight' or 'full spectrum' bulbs.

Here are a couple of pictures from the Digital Photography School tutorial: 



 
Click HERE for the whole tutorial.

Have a wonderful day!

11 comments:

  1. Kimberly....thanks SO much for this info !!! I have been asking Santa to bring me a store bought box for years now and , I guess he always forgets! I rigged up my own box, but it looks nothing like this one....done the RIGHT way! I will be making me one this weekend !! Thanks again!
    xoxo Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. This is going to help alot of us I'm sure! How big of a box did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Tutorial! I got my picture tent a couple of years ago on e-bay. It was only $20.00 and it came with lights. I couldn't work without it. It folds flat into a carry bag with pockets for the lights. It also came with black, blue, red and white backdrops. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe this will help out my cell phone camera. My real camera has broken and I am researching what to replace it with. No more point and shoots for me. My pictures are coming out B-A-D. ;( Thanks for the tutorial. Off to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is WONDERFUL!! I've been working with this....have a pic tent I just bought a short time ago....it makes such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I knew I could make one of these, I just needed to find one! I just love your blog!

    www.chrissandlou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful thing to share and very inexpensive, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a brilliant tutorial I have been hearing about light tents but not seen one before, this is a really good inexpensive cheats way to achieve it. Thanks for sharing.
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for sharing this Kimberly! I have been wanting to make my own too, so this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the tutorial Kimberly. I am going to try and make one of these. I guess I should actually use my camera for my pics instead of my phone. LOL!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. Thanks so much!

Blogging tips