Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Rolled Paper Christmas tree gift bag

Hey everyone,  I have a fun project to help you use up all of those leftover scraps of Christmas cardstock!  I hate to throw away the scraps from all of my favorite Christmas papers, so this made me feel better!  :)

The box was cut at 8.82 inches from the Wrap it up cartridge.  It was slightly bigger than the Cricut mat, but you could cut it at 8.5 inches and be OK too.  I used the hide contour feature to hide the tie on this bag.  The star is from the Winter Frolic cartridge cut at 7.24 inches.


I cut the bag a second time at the same size, but scooted it to the side of the mat so I wouldn't waste paper.  I cut the handle and side off to make a green front to my bag.  Then I cut another slightly smaller (12.08 by 8.67 inches) from a tan patterned paper.  This gave me a better background for the fun tree.

  
Here is a side shot of all the papers rolled up.  I inked them with walnut distress ink, and then inked just the ends with a darker brown ink.


To make the paper rolls, I trimmed paper scraps to a variety of widths and about 1 1/2 inches tall.  Then I ran some adhesive down one edge of the paper and rolled the paper around a skewer up towards the edge with the adhesive.  (Hint: thinner cardstock and patterned paper are easiest to roll!) 


The sentiment is from the 'Tis the Season stamp set.  The tag is from an older Quickutz die I have.  I also used Vintage Cherry bakers twine for the little bow and Vintage Chocolate bakers twine for the tree trunk (wrapped around a piece of cardstock)


I made all of the rusted wire accents by winding the wire around a skewer and threading buttons in between the twists.  For the jump rings (attaching the star to the tag) I wrapped the wire around the skewer a few times and then cut through all of the spirals at once.  This way I ended up with a few perfect circles.


It was a bit time consuming to roll all of the papers, but worth it!



I have entered it in the Fantabulous Cricut Challenge # 89.

Have a wonderful day!

28 comments:

  1. Wow! Lovely box! Wonderful use of leftover Christmas papers! Love the tree with the wire/button embellishment!
    Glenda
    http://glendascards.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...love this idea....what a beautiful tree you made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great... I love every detail of it! I might try using your idea this season. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great scrap using idea!!! This looks so cool- I love it!!! TFS! :)Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea and I love using old papers up as I just hate tossing those scraps. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Christmas Tree has a nice Vintage look to it.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"
    http://CreatedbySunshineHoneyBee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely gorgeous, Kimberly!! I love the vintage look. Thank you for sharing!


    Hugs,
    Saundra :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do so look forward to your posts as they are so clever. I love what you do and I look forward to your emails. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, your bag is absolutely stunning and I love the rustic look of it..

    Scrappy hugs,
    Amanda:0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is seriously one of the cutest projects I have ever seen! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. This is one that I absolutely MUST try. Love, love, love it! I want to make several of these. I sure hope I can squeeze them in before Christmas b/c they would make a perfect gift just by themselves maybe filled with a few little stocking stuffers. :0) Great idea!

    XO ~ Amy Jo (follower)
    amyjrockstar at gmail dot com
    http://lv2scrapandfibrofacts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome project! I really need to give it a try! TFS
    Miranda
    www.nanasscrapspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. very cute! love the distressed look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Kimberly! This is such a fantastic bag! I just love the look of your rolled-paper tree - and what a fabulous way to use up scraps of your favourite Christmas paper!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an absolutely gorgeous vintage bag!! Just fantastic!!!!

    Laurie
    serenityscrappers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowzers Kimberly, this is just fabulous!! I love the distressed look and the cute little button and touch of rusted wire! Love this!!!!
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw a similar card on Pinterest and loved it as well. I am so inspired to do this! Beautiful! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This issooooo cool!! I love how it turned out, very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You worked really hard on this card, and it sure payed off! It is beautiful....I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this idea, and the bag looks just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kimberly! I stumbled on your page from the Cricut website as I am just beginning and very very green. OMGoodness, your skills are endless. I love everything. Thank you so much for posting these beautiful creations for us all to enjoy (and "steal" lol). I am without the advantage of having a creativity gene, so will need all the help I can get and your page will be my go to staple. Thank you again and have a blessed day!
    Kym

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful!
    Carri~abusybee
    www.doubleclickconnections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This turned out great! Saw this on pinterest and I am needing to make one :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely love your project. It is gorgeous! Thank you for the inspiration and thanks for joining us at Fantabulous Cricut!
    http://scrapqueen141.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is fantastic! I love the rustic, handmade feel that you've created with the color scheme and the buttons. So much work and detail on this piece. Wonderful job! Thanks so much for joining us at FCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello again! I'm back to tell you that I'm certainly not the only one over at FCCB who adores your creation. ;) Stop on over to see our Wednesday post. You won't want to miss it!

    XO ~ Amy Jo (FCCB Coordinator)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. Thanks so much!

Blogging tips