Thursday, May 24, 2012

4th of July Glass Block!

Hello, my crafty friends!  Today I have a fun 4th of July project using a Glass Block and Vinyl!


So, I had this idea in my head and pulled out my Gypsy.  I added a 6.5 inch square on the first layer so I would have a template.


Then, I opened a new layer and added all of the words and pictures so I would be able to see how everything would fit together.  Then, I opened a new layer for each color (Red, white, blue, and black) and copied the words/pictures I needed to cut from each color.  I cut each word or picture with my Cricut and then added them one at a time.  If I had chosen to use only one color of vinyl, I could have applied the vinyl to the glass block all at once, but I thought it was worth the extra effort to have different colors.  :)


I have listed out all of the cartridges and cut sizes I used.  Basically, I just played around with the fonts I already had.  If you have the Stand & Salute cartridge (which I don't), there is a bunch of fun word art all ready to go!


Red America:  Jasmine cartridge - 2.29 inches
White Stars:  George cartridge - 0.80 inches and 0.41 inches
 Black America:  Kate's ABCs cartridge - 1.02 inches
Black image of boy and wagon:  A Child's Year cartridge - 1.94 inches
Blue 4:  Kate's ABCs - 1.21 inches
Blue th and of:  Kate's ABCs - 0.52 inches and 0.43 inches
Blue JULY:  Boys will be Boys cartridge - 0.93 inches


Blue Home of the Brave:  Lyrical Letters Cartridge - 0.68 inches
Red Liberty:  Jasmin cartridge - 1.31 inches
White USA: Kate's ABCs cartridge - 0.61 inches
Black image of boy in car:  A Child's Year - 1.71 inches
Blue Land of the Free:  Lyrical Letters Cartridge - 0.84 inches

**I moved the letters closer together for the "Land of the Free" and "Home of the Brave"


Click HERE for a video showing how to apply vinyl to tile.  I applied my vinyl to the Glass Block exactly the same way, except that I did just one piece at a time.


 I got my block from Quality Glass.   It has a plug on the bottom so you can put things (including lights!) inside the block.  How cool is that?!?!

Have a happy day!


11 comments:

  1. Awesome project. I like those glass blocks. I've seen some decorated with lights inside. Very cool looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is as cute as can be! Love it. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bee-utiful decorative piece of art the glass block with the vinyl images on it.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done Kimberly!! I love all the colors and I am sure it looks super cool all lighted up:)
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG - this is just the cutest deocoration ever! I love all the cuts you've selected. Thank you so much for the link to purchase the glass blocks. I'm definitely going to lift this idea - absolutely fabulous.
    Hugs,
    Larelyn
    handmadefromtheheart-designsbylarelyn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. THis turned out fabulous! And so worth the time for the different colors! I bet this looks so cool all lit up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun, Kimberly! I love that you combined colours and fonts. This is such a great way to decorate!
    Enjoy your long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible and such a clever design! I am seeing so many great word collage type projects and I have to give this a try! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool project

    rosiemini@gmail.com
    www.scraplovingminis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow...what fun! I love the way this turned out...so very cute!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. Thanks so much!

Blogging tips