Sunday, October 13, 2013

My Father-in-law . . .


passed away this last week.  We love him and will miss him!  Yesterday was his funeral.  Tears were shed, but it was a beautiful celebration of his 87 wonderful years on this earth. 

We have spent a lot of time talking about life and death with our children this week.  This is the first time that someone close to them has passed away. 

One of the things that has helped my family get through this and many other experiences like this in our lives is our belief in a literal resurrection.  I believe that life doesn't begin at birth and that it won’t end at death. Before we came to earth, our spirits lived with a loving Heavenly Father who created us. We knew Him, and He knew and loved us.


Produced by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

These are some of the things I have discussed with my children this week:

"Picture your hand inside a glove. The glove moves only when your hand does. Take your hand out and the glove sits lifeless on the table. This is an easy way to visualize what happens when you die. Imagine your body is the glove being operated by who you really are—your spirit. When you die your body gets left behind, lifeless like a glove, but your spirit lives forever.

Countless scriptures and personal accounts by prophets throughout time have told us this is true.


When you’re the one left behind—the one losing a friend or loved one—the pain of that loss is very real. But there’s a lot of comfort in knowing you’ll see him or her again. And because of Christ’s death, at some point our spirit and body will be reunited (resurrected) and made perfect never to be separated again."

Click HERE if you want to read more.

I hope you don't mind me sharing such a personal post.  :)

Have a wonderful Sunday!





29 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss Kimberly. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear of your loss Kimberly. I also lost my Grandma 2 weeks ago and it never is easy. I send my prayers and love. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GiGi, how sad that you lost your Grandma. You are right, it isn't easy. Sending prayers and love your way too. Hugs

      Delete
  3. So sorry for your family's loss. What a great way to explain death to a child.

    Have a creative day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly: my thoughts and prayers to your husband, you and your family in this time of loss. What a lovely post you've shared to remind us that even in loss, hope exists. Wishes that you find solace in one another's company, and in the faith of knowing that your father-in-law was blessed to have all of you in his life, as you were to have him in yours! Hugs!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for your loss, sending cyber hugs to you and your family. Take care my Dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Kimberly, I am so sorry for your loss.Thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones. What a wonderful way you explained the loss and what wonderful strong faith you have.
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sorry for your loss. Hugs and prayers come to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kimberly, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family during this difficult time.
    Hugs to you!
    Sherrie K

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for your loss. I'm putting you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kimberly, I have lifted up you and your loved ones in prayer and will continue to do so. My deepest sympathies for your loss. It is vital in times of grief to lean on God (and not run, as many do), so I am thankful to hear you're placing everything in His loving hands. He is our great Comforter. I am glad you told us so we can hug you and pray for you! Lots of love for you today (and every day). **hugs**

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts, love & prayers go out to you & your and your family.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Migdalia
    ♥ Crafting With Creative M ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a beautiful way to think of passing on. My heart goes out to you and yours. I'm very sorry for your loss.
    I'll keep you in my prayers xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry about your loss Kimberly - I lost my mother in law this past month - however, I was able to share with her the Gospel and she accepted Jesus as her Savior - so now she is in the arms of Jesus and I will see her again - God is so good to want all to be saved and non to perish. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry for your loss Kimberly... my thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet family today....

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry for your loss Kimberly! What a blessing to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Kimberly. May you be comforted by your memories of him and the promise of life eternal. Hugs of comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry for your loss.
    You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    God bless you and yours.
    Crafty hugs,
    D~
    designsbydragonfly.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so sorry to hear of your family's loss. It is hard to be separated from the ones we love. Thanks for sharing the glove analogy. I shared it with my son tonight. Hugs! :) Jill

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry for your loss. But Amen to your post.. Jesus Christ is our Savior! May you be blessed in the knowledge that your father-in-law has returned home! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry for your loss Kimberly! Praying for you and your family!

    housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
    www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry for your family's loss, just knowing that we will see our loved ones again makes the pain alittle less, blessings and strength to your family at this time.

    Brenda W.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A lovely tribute to your father-in-law. Thank you for sharing. I believe as you do! Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just got home Kimberly, and I am so sorry for your loss, but as you said, this isn't the end. What a beautiful post and tribute to him. You are so incredible in so many ways! I am grateful to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kimberly, I am so sorry to read of the passing of your father-in-law. How wonderful that you could celebrate the 87 years he had on this earth - and also celebrate that you will one day see him again. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. May you all feel God's loving arms of comfort surrounding you at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Kimberly, I was sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    Ally

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. Thanks so much!

Blogging tips